BLT Fish Sandwich
With Homemade Tartar Sauce
By: Hank Shaw
FISH TARTAR SAUCE
4-6 strips of bacon 1 cup mayonnaise
4 skinless walleye or white bass fillets 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
Salt 2 teaspoons lemon juice
1 cup of flour Tabasco sauce to taste
2 eggs, lightly beaten 1/2 cup chopped pickles
1 cup breadcrumbs 2 teaspoons capers, chopped
oil for frying (Preference of peanut oil) 1 small shallot, chopped
4 large lettuce leaves 1 tablespoon minced chives
4 to 8 slices of tomato Salt and pepper
- Combine all tartar sauce ingredients in a bowl, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate.
- Dredge the fish fillets in flour, then dip in the egg, then in the breadcrumbs.
- Fry bacon strips slowly until almost crispy. I prefer a slight bend for sandwiches.
- Heat the peanut oil to 350*F over medium high heat. Fry fillets until they are golden brown, about 2 to 5 minutes per side. Set on paper towels to drain.
- Gather all your fixin’s. Spread the tartar sauce on both sides of the buns, then add the lettuce, fish fillets, tomato and bacon. Crack an Old Style and enjoy!
Check us out every week to get your next wild game recipe!